10 Things that lead to Irresponsibility
It is the subtle things that hinder us in the training our children towards a Work Ethic.
- Do everything for your children – just let them have fun.
- Accept sloppy, tardy work.
- Accept your children’s lame excuses.
- Forget to check to see if the task was completed and acceptable.
- Regularly excuse your children from their responsibilities if something else fun turns up.
- Don’t carry through on consequences.
- Protect your children from tough jobs that are challenging or new.
- As a parent, act irresponsibly yourself - you are a role model
- Encourage the child to see how the task will benefit their life
- Encourage friendships that only meet your child’s needs
Of course, most of these things have a counter-balance. There is always context to any such action a parent can take. It is when we become characterized by these types of parenting decisions that irresponsibility will set in and become a habit of your child’s heart.
Live life with your kids!
Return to top of page, Irresponsibility
Return to beginning of Developing a Work Ethic Series
Return to Responsibilities Training
Retrun to Lifestyle-Homeschool Home Page