Hi there! ....
This week weve finished a season of swimming lessons and we have all reached our different goals. Looking back though I am reminded of a few things that should help me in times to come
- When we take on a new subject or focus of study or project some thing has to go. We cant keep adding new projects. When we started swimming lessons I told the children that would be our focus and other things would only happen if they happened. This lightened our load and made it do-able.
- I took lessons too this was a great opportunity to show my children that learning is a life long pursuit and that it is okay to have to re-learn something!
- We found a passionate teacher who worked one on one what a blessing this was, but the real lesson for me was to be passionate and to model what I want to teach. It is no wonder that over the years, I have found it hard to teach the kids to swim - I was standing on the sidelines if only I had got in the water with them!!
- We are now committed to practicing our new skills. I remind myself that this next stage is as important as the lessons themselves I need to stay committed to making time for this to happen. Practice, practice, practice this is something we so often skip over whether we are talking about swimming, reading, or doing chores we need to have seasons of practice!
Live life with your kids!
Are you ready to Celebrate Jesus?
Christmastime what a crazy time. It as if the world is turned up the speed and things just get crazier all around us. There are parties, shopping, cooking, cleaning go, go, go.
Whats it like in your home?
Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.
Regardless of your beliefs in celebrating Christmas it is still a time in our society where people are aware of Jesus. The challenge for us as Christians is to show the world a Jesus that is more than a cute baby, unfortunate enough to be born in a stable.
Are you showing Jesus to the world?
Ive been challenged with this question. Are the things that we do in our family a testimony to who Jesus is? When people walk in our home what do they see? Do they see Jesus? This of course is a challenge that needs to be considered every day, every week, every month of the year, not just at Christmas time. But it doesnt hurt to be reminded of it now amongst the craziness of Santa, Parties, and a good time.
What is Jesus about? The good news the angels brought was that a saviour was born He offers salvation from our sin and an end to the separation from God.
For God so loved the world
that he gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him
shall not perish but have eternal life.
I came that they may have life,
and have it abundantly.
Showing Jesus in our home is more than putting up Jesus focus decorations such as a Nativity Scene or a Jesse Tree (though we personally enjoy these). Jesus came to change lives and it is our lives that should be the decorations at this season.
- Do we worship the angels filled the sky with their praises to God they were in awe of this good news. They knew what this meant and they worshipped God
- Do we celebrate as the shepherds did. After they saw for themselves, they told every one they came across what they had been told, and what they had seen. They must have been so excited. Has the good news become jaded to our ears we need to stir ourselves, and see afresh the amazing, wonderful news that it is and spread it to all we talk to.
- Do we give thanks like Simeon and Anna knowing that God is true to His word and sent a saviour into the world, to give eternal life to all who believe.
- Do we give gifts like the wise men. Not the gifts we may give to each other but the gift of our life to Jesus. The only thing that Jesus wants is our life, our love, our worship. Do we offer it to him freely?
A life decorated in such a way is sure to be noticed as we walk through the streets of our town and go about our daily business. A life decorated in such a way is going to impact the lives of the people around us. This is a time to celebrate the life of Jesus in us and if we keep our eyes open, and our hearts available, we may have an opportunity to share that joy, that peace, that love with the people we meet if only we dont cover it up with the cultural celebrations going on around us.
We need to be aware of the opportunities given to us to celebrate Jesus and take it!
There are no new updates this week though you may like to check out the pages on Family Traditions and Christmas in particular.
My Sitemap is a quick reference to all you will find on Lifestyle-Homeschool. I encourage you to have a browse around!
Restoring the Heart, Mind and Soul of Christmas - Are you intentional about your Christmas celebrations? A workshop style e-book to help you match your celebrations with your beliefs.
Heart Focus Parenting - A heart focused parent will keep their attention on their child's heart for God, instead of on external behaviours.
Live life with your Kids Blog
Do you read my blog? Live life with your Kids Blog is where I jot my thoughts throughout the week and share things happening in our family. You are welcome to visit!
If you have just subscribed to Live life with your Kids! then you can read
back issues here.
Until next week
Living life with her kids in Australia!
Contact me: If you have any comments, questions or content ideas I'd love to hear from you.
Make your comment here.
Know somebody who'd like to read this? We really hope that you've enjoyed reading this newsletter. If you think your friends might be interested in taking a look, please feel free to forward it to them.
Haven't subscribed yet? If you're reading this on the recommendation of a friend and would like to receive all the future editions, you can
Subscribe here for free
About Live Life with your kids Newsletter
I know homeschool mums are busy with lots to read, so I have divided my newsletter into four sections and you will receive one section a week; short but regular newsletters!
- Be a Deliberate Parent Encouragement to continue in purposeful and intentional parenting.
- Family Life Spotlights on a particular aspect of family life so we can see the natural opportunities available to us in educating our children.
- Character Education Each month we focus on a different character trait The newsletter will include application for Mums, as well as seeing character training opportunities in everyday life.
- A Homeschool Thought Discussing homeschool issues
The newsletter will also keep you updated with all additions to