Hi there! ....
My new (and first book) Heart Focus Parenting is now available online!
Printed version $20.00 plus postage
To celebrate (for it has been a long time coming!) I am offering a
25% discount to my newsletter readers - for this weekend only. Use the code HFP25 in your shopping cart. (Code will be disabled Monday morning Australian time)
Though we may know that God is after the heart, so often our parenting settles for the quick fix of external behaviour. Our role as parents is to turn our children’s hearts towards God; that they may know Him, hear His voice, and choose to walk in His ways. Heart Focus Parenting is a collection of articles and thoughts to encourage parents to keep their focus on their children’s hearts day in and day out.
The Heart Focus: What does it mean to reach the heart of a child?
Live life with your kids!
The Heart Focus Homeschool
What dictates the decisions you make about educating your children?
Jesus made it very clear that God considers the heart. It is our responsibility (and privilege) as parents to guide and teach our children’s hearts so that they are aware of God and His word. It is an exciting thing when a child responds to Jesus, and acknowledges his need of a saviour. It is exciting to see our children choose to walk with Jesus, and commit themselves to becoming more and more like their Lord.
- Are there things in your day that makes it hard to find time to focus on the heart?
- When you put your daily routine together what where you aiming for? Peace? Productivity? Or time to train your children’s hearts?
- When you chose your homeschool curriculum and resources what was your main concern? Academic success or a relationship with God?
- When you let your child participate in a particular activity, did you ask yourself, “How will this affect their heart?”
These are hard questions. It takes times to disciple – Jesus had three years to mould his disciples and then they had to be ready to take His message to the world. We are likely to have more than three years with our children, and yet are we as intentional and focused as Jesus was?
For I have not spoken on My own authority;
but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command,
what I should say and what I should speak.
Jesus constantly claimed that He only did that which His Father told him. We may not know exactly what is ahead for our children and yet God can direct us and guide us in the specific things that our children need now in order to be prepared for God’s purposes in times to come.
Have you asked God what he wants your child to know?
God can show you
We need to ask Him for these answers with an open heart – not thinking we already know, but with a blank page so to speak; let God draw the picture. We may not be able to see the whole picture at this stage, but we need to trust in God as the master artist.
- a character weakness that needs to be addressed
- what social skills need to be developed
- what practical skills need to be mastered
- God can show you what subjects need to be learnt
Though we know that our child’s hearts is the most important thing so often we let other issues determine the training of our children:
- Expectations of others
- Popular curriculum or homeschooling methods
- Comparisons with the school system
- Predetermined ideas and/or plans
- Comparisons with other homeschool families
- Demands of our daily routine
We need to recognise the things that are in our life that are hindering us from focusing on our child’s heart towards God. We need to know, really know, what it is that God wants from us, so that we can withstand the temptation to take another path. It isn’t a question of what methods we use, but rather are we taking the time to disciple our children’s hearts that they may become more like Christ.
Did you miss the link to the Heart Focus Parenting excerpt?
Here it is again.
or you can see my new book at the Lifestyle-Homeschool Bookshop
Have you just subscribed to Live life with your Kids?
is a quick reference to all you will find on Lifestyle-Homeschool. I encourage you to have a browse around!
You can read
back issues here.
If there are any new additions throughout the week, they will be posted at the
Lifestyle Homeschool Blog
Until next week
Living life with her kids in Australia!
Contact me: If you have any comments, questions or content ideas I'd love to hear from you.
Make your comment here.
Know somebody who'd like to read this? We really hope that you've enjoyed reading this newsletter. If you think your friends might be interested in taking a look, please feel free to forward it to them.
Haven't subscribed yet? If you're reading this on the recommendation of a friend and would like to receive all the future editions, you can
Subscribe here for free
About Live Life with your kids Newsletter
I know homeschool mums are busy with lots to read, so I have divided my newsletter into four sections and you will receive one section a week; short but regular newsletters!
- Be a Deliberate Parent – Encouragement to continue in purposeful and intentional parenting.
- Family Life is a Resource for Education – Spotlights on a particular aspect of family life so we can see the natural opportunities available to us in educating our children.
- Character Education – Each month we focus on a different character trait – The newsletter will include application for Mums, as well as seeing character training opportunities in everyday life.
- A Homeschool Thought – Discussing homeschool issues
The newsletter will also keep you updated with all additions to